Matthew Fields is a partner with Sinars Slowikowski Tomaska. He is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice in the areas of the defense of asbestos and toxic tort litigation, products liability, professional liability, insurance, and commercial litigation. He has tried multiple jury trials solo and has been a part of approximately 10-plus trial teams. His contributions have ranged from first-chair, co-first chair and second-chair, oftentimes trying cases as a team without chair distinctions.
For nearly two decades, Matthew has defended both large and small companies in cases involving claims of exposure to asbestos either through products, premises, contractors, supplies and employers. Matthew has successfully defended clients in lawsuits related to asbestos exposure throughout Missouri and Illinois. Of note, Matthew assisted a Fortune 500 company to obtain orders of dismissals in over 700 pending cases. He also obtained a directed verdict at the close of plaintiff’s evidence for a small family-owned business in an asbestos trial in Madison County, Illinois.
Matthew has also successfully handled matters in the areas of personal injury, products liability, premises liability, insurance coverage, corporate law. contractual disputes, real estate transactions, employment issues, professional liability, legal malpractice, and class actions. Matthew has significant trial experience in both state and federal courts throughout Missouri and Illinois. Notably, Matthew obtained a multi-million-dollar judgment in contractual dispute over the sale of a business and fraud; obtained a defense verdict in a single-vehicle uninsured motorist case involving a quadriplegic plaintiff with over one million dollars in insurance coverage; obtained a directed verdict on behalf of a local family-owned business in a Madison County, Illinois asbestos case; and also obtained a one million dollar judgment for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud resulting from the embezzlement of his client’s funds by a fiduciary.
Additionally, Matthew has defended architects, contractors, engineers, and attorneys against claims of professional liability. Most recently, Matthew successfully defended a Construction Manager from claims of professional liability for the selection, installation and training on the new bleachers installed at a high school and arising out of a slip-and-fall where plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $1 million dollars. Matthew also represented attorneys against claims for legal malpractice and matters involving the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission and Missouri Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel.
Matthew always strives to provide his clients with the best possible legal representation while using a business-decision strategy and cost-effective approach to resolve the dispute. He was selected by Super Lawyers as a top-rated Class Action/Mass Torts Attorney in Missouri/Kansas in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. Super Lawyers is a designation of top-rated practicing attorneys selected through extensive evaluation.
Outside of work, Matthew enjoys running, golfing, watching his daughter play college field hockey - “Go Bucknell Bison!”, and spending time with his family and friends.
Publications and Presentations
Matthew has been a frequent speaker and author on topics relating to tort litigation as well as managing complex insurance coverage cases and effective depositions.
- “Voir Dire and Jury Selection — How Jurors Think: What Every Litigator Needs to Know,” NBI (2018)
- “The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions,” The Missouri Bar (2017)
- “Voir Dire and Jury Selection — How Jurors Think: What Every Litigator Needs to Know,” NBI (2016)
- “The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions — How to Ask Questions Effectively and What to Ask,” The Missouri Bar (2015)
- “The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions — How to Ask Questions Effectively and What to Ask,” The Missouri Bar (2014)
- “The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions — How to Ask Questions Effectively and What to Ask,” The Missouri Bar (2013)
- “Asbestos — Current Issues and Effective Litigation Tactics,” NBI seminar (April 2013)
- “How to Ask Questions Effectively and What to Ask,” The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions, The Missouri Bar seminar (2012)
- “Torts and Civil Actions,” The Missouri Bar Annual Law Update (2012)
- “Preparing Witnesses for Deposition,” Taking and Defending Effective Depositions in Missouri (2006)